Friday, August 29, 2008

August 29, 2008 12:30 pm

My first bath in a real "tub"!
I loved my bath!
Saying my bedtime prayers!
Asleep at last!

Hello everyone! The RNICU gave Laurie a big 2 month birthday surprise by moving her down to the Continuing Care Nursery (CCN) at shift change last night! We were expecting this move by the end of the month, but yesterday afternoon the unit got very busy and they needed space for more critical babies. We were blessed to be the most stable of the critical babies! Laurie has had several good weeks and we felt much more comfortable with the move this time.

Since Laurie changed to the nasal canula on Wednesday, she has been having more frequent de-sat and bradycardia (slowing of the heart rate) spells. However, the doctors are watching her closely and giving her a chance to adjust to the nasal canula. She has not quite reached the three pound mark yet, and weighed 2 lbs. 14 oz. last night. We have also been changed over to the nurse practitioner service where Laurie will have the same nurse practitioner and attending for the rest of our time here, rather than changing interns, residents, and attendings each month. Hopefully, this will provide more consistent care for Laurie!

I had the opportunity to hold Laurie again last night and rock her in an actual rocking chair! After rocking, I was able to give Laurie her first "real" bath! She loved being able to sit in the "tub". I realize that these two events are nothing new for most two month olds, but were BIG baby steps for us! I am definitely learning a new appreciation for the "little things".

Thanks for your continued prayers and support! We are seeing prayers being answered each day! Please pray for travel safety for Todd and Cole as they come to Birmingham tonight for the long weekend. As long as there are no changes with Laurie, I will probably not blog again until late Monday afternoon when they go home. I hope you all have a great Friday and a safe holiday!

Love,
Todd, Leah, Cole, and Laurie

7 comments:

Laura said... said...

YEAH!!! How precious!! My heart is smiling!! I'm so proud of our little miracle and I thank God every day for all He's doing in her life. We are so blessed!
I love you so much, Leah and miss you! See you real soon!
~Laura :)

Jama said...

As I have told you before, my entire family and I love reading your updates and continually pray for you all. A few minutes ago I was in my bathroom getting ready for our ballgame (GO BULLDOGS!) when my middle child, Brittany, came to the door and asked me if I had read an update on Laurie today. I told her no, and she told me to open the door. She was standing there with the laptop with the pictures of Laurie dsplayed!!! I must admit that I literally shed tears of joy!! HOW PRECIOUS Laurie is and what progress she is making. If someone does not believe in our wonderful Lord or miracles, then they need to read your blogs! Praise God!! Have a blessed weekend! Jama Lewis Walker

Eloise said...

The picture in the little tub is SO cute!! Congrats on Laurie's "promotion."

Have a wonderful weekend with your husband and son.

Nancy S said...

What a precious little angel!
She is definitely enjoying her firs
of many relaxing soaks in the tub.
I imagine she was just waiting for
Cole and Todd before she hits the big 3 pounds! I love the smiling
picture and my favorite is her
saying her prayers. They need to
put that one up on the big screen
in church this week. Have a relaxing weekend with the guys, and
I'll be especially praying for your
nerves with the de-sats and bradys.
She'll make it just fine.
Oh, and WAR EAGLE!!! Love, Nancy

Unknown said...

Wonderful news! Blessings to all of you!!!

Love you all!
Mary Sue

Anonymous said...

LOVE the picture of her "saying her prayers"! You need to frame that one! I know she must have felt sooo much better after a bath! She is so precious! Can't wait to get my hands on her!
Love ya'll!!
Katie

Kelly said...

Leah,
What wonderful pictures and the news of Laurie's progress is AWESOME! I know you are such a proud momma. Girl, you have been through it and deserve every one of these happy moments, as you watch your beautiful baby grow. Soak them in and PRAISE GOD for the miracles that continue in the Killingsworth family each and every day. What a wonderful God he is! And you have been so faithful through the really tough times.
God Bless all of you and have a great weekend together!
Love,
The McCarleys