Tuesday, December 23, 2008

December 23, 2008








Well, I can't believe that weeks have passed since I last posted--time passes much faster now that I am back home. December has been a slow month of doctor appointments for Laurie. However, we will make up for it in January with six appointments already scheduled and three of those being in Birmingham!

On December 5, 2008, Todd and I took Laurie back to Dr. Feist, the ophthalmologist. We got a good report that Laurie's vessels are continuing to grow and no further treatment was needed at the time. We will see him again on January 7, 2009 to see how her eye development is progressing. I also met with the ladies from Early Intervention this month to write Laurie's family plan. We established several goals for Laurie, such as focusing on and tracking objects, grasping and holding objects, etc... They will be coming once a month to work with Laurie. Today Laurie and I went to Dothan to the pediatrician's office for a weigh in. This was a another "first" for the two of us as we made the trip by ourselves! It was an uneventful trip--the kind we like! In the past, someone has always gone with us to "watch" the monitor, but Laurie has been having so few de-sat spells that I decided we could make the trip on our own! Laurie usually does well riding and has only had one "bad spell" in car since bringing her home from the hospital and over the last few months I have become much more comfortable getting her in and out with all her wires! Laurie weighed 8 lbs. 12 oz. today! We were hoping that she would have gained more, but every ounce helps!

Laurie's unique personality has really been "coming out" over the last month. She is smiling, cooing, and loves "looking" at the Christmas tree lights--I believe that she can SEE them! Although Laurie has made lots of progress, we will still be keeping her home for Christmas. Like at Thanksgiving, Todd and I will take Cole to grandparents' houses and the other will stay home with Laurie. This small sacrifice for Laurie's health is worth making because we finally have TWO stockings hanging on the mantel this year! We are truly blessed! Thanks for your continued prayers and for continuing to check-in on Laurie!

Merry Christmas!
Todd, Leah, Cole, and Laurie

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you updated us!!! I hoped that no news was good news, and that Laurie was growing and developing, and it sounds like she has! God has truly blessed all of you, and I'm so thankful that it sounds like you're settled into a routine now.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all of you, and I look forward to your next update!!

Love,
Mary Sue

Debbie said...

Thank you for the upate I'm so glad she is doing great Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

you are still in our prayers

GOD BLESS

Debbie and the dialysis family

Lisa Hyatt said...

Hi Leah! I'm so glad to hear how well Laurie is doing and all the progress she's making. I'm so proud of her! I still think about her alot & miss you all! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and I wish you a blessed New Year!

Love in Christ,
Nurse Lisa

Rhonda said...

HELLO!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU FOR THE NEW UPDATE AND PICTURES
I THANK GOD FOR YOUR WONDERFUL FAMILY(MINE) I
LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH
HEY COLEY DOUGLAS LUCILLE
HEY MISS BABY DOLL
TODD AND LEIGH HEY AND LOTS OF LOVE
GIVE MY BABY DOLL LOTS OF HUGS AND KISSES
HAVE A VERY WONDERFUL
NEW YEAR
AUNT RHONDA

Unknown said...

WoW! Laurie has gotten so big since the last time I took care of her. She no longer is smaller than my hand...Caroline and I want your family to know that we are thinking and praying for you guys each and everyday. Laurie has made such progress and it makes us really happy that she is doing so great. We wish you guys the best. We miss you all. Stop by and say hello when your in town for your apts in Jan.

Frank and Caroline Thompson
aka Lauries' nurses at UAB

Anonymous said...

We pray that you had a blessed Christmas! Sounds like Laurie is doing well and that she is growing and growing! Our prayers are that all goes well with her next checkups. Maybe we will get to see her before too much longer.
Love to all,
The Kings